Look up. Please look up...





   As Albert Einstein once said, "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." Even before this present time, the 21st century, Einstein knew (or knew the day would come) technology would evolve so greatly, that it would be used in place of (or more often than) human socialization. He also had said, "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
   Well, he wasn't very far off at all.  Do you see us now? Do you see what has happened to society? Everywhere you look, people are looking down at their phones. It seems that hardly anyone notices what is going on in the world around them. They are more absorbed into what is on their screens rather than living in the moment and cherishing this life they were given. 
It's funny that we call it social media when, in all honesty, it's anything but social. A better way to phrase it would be 'social deprivation'. We're "interacting" with each other over screens instead of face to face. It makes me sad. Sad to know that this is what the world has come to. 
 Of course, there are those few who don't desire to be a part of the this technological calamity. I, myself being one of them. I learned for myself about 6 months ago that I did not want to be a part of it- that I didn't want to be like the rest of the world. I wanted a change.
I wish that more people would realize what they're missing.

"Look up, please. Feel the sun on your face and the wind in your hair. The soft grass beneath your bare feet. Listen to laughter and watch for smiles. Express your love more often to family and show them that you care. Dance and sing to your favourite song without caring what anyone else thinks. Take a picture for the sake of the memory- not to update people on what is going on in your life. Find a place that's perfect for stargazing and share it with those you love. Pay attention to the small things: like how your little brother's hand fits inside of your hand, how the springtime breeze sounds as it blows through the trees, the look your mother gives you when you know that she's proud of you, the way the rain feels on your skin.......
Think of this one precious life that you have. Our lives are very short, and will pass quicker than we know it. Will you waste it on some device?"

You decide.

Comments

  1. I saw this video a couple of days ago, and I was astounded. Every time I feel awkward at a bus stop or feel like I should share my every thought in the form of a Tweet, Facebook post, Blog post, Tumblr post, what have you I think about this video. It's stunning and your words really hit home too. As the English teacher dude said in Easy A: "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds. "Roman is having an OK day, and bought a Coke Zero at the gas station. Raise the roof." "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh so true! I can't believe how much our society is consumed with social media. Albert Einstein was right, for sure.

    -- Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment



Be a dear and leave a comment

Popular Posts