feels like home now

So a couple of weeks ago we moved to a new house. To a new city. A bigger city. (two hours away from where we previously lived)
At first, everything felt odd. The house didn't feel quite right. Walking through the front door seemed like walking into a stranger's home. My bedroom didn't feel like mine. Cooking in the kitchen wasn't the same.
Everything just felt.....different.
Don't get me wrong, different is good. Heck, I love different. But when it comes to a place feeling like home....not so much.

All of those feelings changed the other night.....
That night, my siblings and I all gathered around my mom in the new living room (empty boxes scattered about and things yet to be unpacked strewn in various places) and we listened to her read some inspirational talks. I sat with my back against the wall, and listened. Really listened. And I looked at each one of my brothers' and sisters' faces. Hoping that they were feeling the same way as me.
I felt content. I felt blessed with everything that I have.
A few moments later my 16 year old sister Meghan put a plate full of cookies on the floor- which also had peanut butter M&M's piled around the cookies- she placed it in the middle of all of us whilst my mother continued reading.
It's hard to explain, but as simple as it was, I loved sitting there with my family eating peanut butter M&M's and eating store bought cookies. Just listening to the sound of my mother's voice.
Being surrounded by the ones that I love.

And once we were finished, I walked down the new hallway, to my new bedroom, and I thought to myself "It feels like home now".

Comments

  1. I've moved so many times, I've forgotten to have a new place feel different to me. But then, I agree with you, there are some times that truly make it feel like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is where the heart is. I am glad you know where your heart lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never feel truly at home anywhere, and I'm not sure I want to either.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment



Be a dear and leave a comment

Popular Posts