I Am From Pigtails and Climbing Trees


*This is poem I wrote about a year ago for a creative writing class. I just wanted to share it with you guys.*

               I am from pigtails and rainbow Pushpops
                  From running barefoot, Pocahontas and climbing trees

       I'm from fairies, dragons and magic,
  From where anything is possible  

I am from rainy pumpkin patch trips and muddy jeans
From fall leaves whirling through the cool Autumn air

I am from enchiladas, the greatest mashed potatoes and
homemade bread straight from the oven

From wanting to be like those other girls,
to wanting individuality

I am from wonderful days at the beach with sand in my shorts
and "Do we have to leave now?"

I'm from hot summer days drinking iced tea
and spending the warm evenings looking up at the stars

I am from a world of books and
staying up 'til 2am to finish the exciting chapter

From a school dance with nervousness, a shimmery dress, teary eyes,
and some nearly comfortable heels

I am from a Vampire Weekend concert and
autographed t-shirts

From long car rides with Mom, which created
just as long mother-daughter conversations

I am from photography, where I can freeze
moments in time forever, looking closely at all the little details

Where I come from, moments deserve to be 
cherished and savored

Where moments mean 
~everything~

Comments

  1. i LOVE this! so so so well written Kate :D always be yourself dear!
    -Corley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yours! I really like how it paints a picture in your mind with the greatest childhood memories. I especially liked the line, "I am from rainy pumpkin patch trips and muddy jeans
    From fall leaves whirling through the cool Autumn air"
    Honestly, the "Where I am" poems are the greatest way for each person to describe their life and personality. Thanks for telling me about your poem! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment



Be a dear and leave a comment

Popular Posts